Pages

Followers

Friday, 15 April 2016

April Tutorial

           **********************************************************
            You can find our April Challenge....HERE
          **********************************************************

Hello Crafty Friends....
Welcome to Rhedd's Creative Spirit today, my name is Rupa and it is my turn to bring you this months tutorial.

Remember I told you I would be back on the 15th with a tutorial on making those colourful passport sleeves?


Well here I am....let's start

Things you will need......
Canvas cloth - size required to cover your passport / notebook ( with a 1 inch allowance on all sides )
White Gesso
Gelatos or Acrylic paints
Some stencils and stamps
Decoupage napkins
Decoupage glue
Embossing folder and your Big Shot machine
Inka Gold / metallic lustre / rubbing buff, archival inks
Gel medium / Matt varnish
Embroidery floss, needle and scissors

I know that is a lot on the list, but this is going to be fun...not 1 or 2, but 3 different styles!
Come on....sit back and chill.

Style 1 - Decoupaged Canvas ( Vintage & Shabby Chic )

Apply gesso to the canvas and once dry, adhere the part of the napkin that you want on the canvas gently. Use decoupage glue and a soft brush to do this and wait to dry.
Take some acrylic colours, choosing the right one from the napkin you have stuck! Here I have used a bit of green and brown and sponged it on the blank areas. For the bicycle canvas, I have dabbed in blue & pink to cover up the white spaces



Once that is done, I did some random stamping of text and butterflies on the canvas with Archival Inks. I inked the edges  with archival brown ink and then gave it a coat of matt varnish.
While I left that to dry I threaded up the embroidery floss.
Oops,not that takes time you see,not like before,lol.
Lovely blanket stitch detail to seal the edges. I have used contrasting colours on these canvases just so they show up.
Remember to fold the extra 1 inch allowance in to a flap on the inner side so that you can slip in the book.
I loved doing the blanket stitch, so therapeutic and it took me back to my school days...
So this is done.



Style 2 - For the Man

Textures,grunge,bold tones and no flowers...that's what I like to do for masculine projects.
For this I ran a piece of canvas through the sizzix texture fade - Riveted Metal



Once out, I coloured it with Crimson Red acrylic colours and just rubbed back with archival ink to tone down the red. Then I brushed in the metallic lustre,Silver Spark, with my fingers so that the raised areas would catch it. Then I varnished it and blanket stitched it, then it was ready.
Just for added interest, I made a faux leather label and stamped a quote and stuck that to the front with faux stitching.

Style 3- For the Boy

Well as for Hi, I wanted peppy bright colours and some mild textures, so I went ahead and rubbed in some bright Gelatos, Lime Snow Cone....and blended it with a dry tissue.
Next I layered Tim Holtz burlap stencil and used archival ink in Corn Flower Blue for some textures....adding some stamped script in the background, then stamped the Prima boy.



He looks absolutely cool out there dosen't he?
Varnished and with some blanket stitching and he was ready to go.
That's it my Friends, easy right?...my holiday project is ready!
The passport fits snugly and I am all set to flaunt this on my soon to become International Holiday.



Do let me know which style appeals to you and if you decide to make one...do share it, I would love to see your take on this.
Until my next creative journey
Happy Crafting & Recycling
Cheers
Rupa.

2 comments:

Sandra Wright said...

Great tutorial Rupa...x

Julie Short said...

Rupa these are all so different! Love the bike even though I would really love to be on a plane. Isn't that canvas fun to play with?