Pages

Followers

Saturday, 15 August 2015

Julie's Mid Month Tutorial

***********************************************************************                      
                    Our current challenge can be found here....
                                  AUGUST CHALLENGE

We also have a Design Team Call...so if you are interested check out the details under our header.

***********************************************************************

                                       Tutorial by Julie

Hello and welcome. 
Spring is beginning to pop here in Australia! 
There is colour in the garden and much noise and colour in the trees as the birds celebrate and get together.
That is what inspired my make!


When I buy ink pads I often buy a reinker! 
I'm going to share with you what I enjoy doing with my reinkers!


For this piece I have used Distress Ink reinkers and watercolour paper.


Frequently I work with A3 size papers as this gives me lots to play with.
To begin I wet the paper thoroughly  and then I trail the first colour across the page.


The second colour gets a good spray too and the inks begin to pool and run.


I keep adding colour - three colours that are close together in value work well.
Hint - Don't use complementary colours, unless you want mud!


By now the paper will be very wet. Take a second piece of the watercolour paper and lay it over the first to soak up the extra colour. Be gentle and don't press too hard.


Walk away and let both pieces dry. At about this point you just may want to make a few other papers so keep your inks out! It's fun!


For this make I cut the paper up and I stamped and embossed a piece with Carabelle Studio Stamps.
I then went back into the paper and applied more distress ink with a waterbrush.
A little Perfect Pearls was brushed across a couple of the stamped images to add a shimmer.

Then lots of decision making began.


I took an old cork backed placemat. I liked the colours on the image and so I left it all there.


I began to create a border with Prima Mixed Media stamps, Archival Ink and Wendy Vecchi Embossing powder.


Out came some fabric scraps and some Time To Create Handmade Treasure.
These embellishments are a different treatment of watercolour paper.

I take a little time here in the process to audition the placement of the piece until I am happy.


I've been waiting for just the right moment to use this weathered and beat up frame which came from the tip. The project had bloomed so I gave the carved frame a really good clean and brushed the heavily carved design with a paint brush. From the look of it this frame had been unloved for a long time.


But look at it now! Using a couple of colours of acrylic paint and Viva Decor Inka Gold I built up the colours and the patina. I kept wiping the colour back until I was happy and then finished with black acrylic sponged over the top of the carved design. This was wiped then with an almost dry sponge.

 For protection and finish I then wiped wax all over the frame. I let it dry and then polished with a soft cloth.


The central panel was affixed with Liquid Nails. This was weighted by a heavy book and left to dry.

Now, as I said, there are reinkers for every ink pad.
I tend to buy those of the colours I know I'm going to use the most.
I hope you drag any you have out and play.
You will need to experiment with what will dilute the inks and also how to best move the colour around.
Inky adventures are waiting for you.
Have fun
Julie


7 comments:

Sammy said...

Fab tutorial Julie! and a lovely finished product :-) x

Sandra Wright said...

Stunning project Julie and a great tutorial...I love that frame, I would have bagged it from the tip too...x

aussie aNNie said...

Wow gorgeous and thanks for the tut...and yes spring is def here in australia...xx

Lizzy Hill said...

WOW! That is fabulous....& we just had a tutorial with re-inkers with Naomi Cox at Camp Mojo....so I was really, really interested to see how you used them - which was a little but not heaps different. Think I'll have to drag out mine now....LOOOOOVE the finished art piece:):)

Nan Bourdeu said...

Love your tutorial and lovely make! xx

Lynn McAuley said...

I need to play more with my distress inks! Thanks for the help!

Julie Short said...

Thank you ladies, There are other things you can do with reinkers but this is ones of the easiest and most effective.