Pages

Followers

Wednesday, 15 July 2015

July's Mid Month Tutorial by Elaine

*******************************************************

You can find our July Challenge ....HERE

Design Team Call....please check link under our header.

*******************************************************
Hi All - Elaine aka Ellapu here with my Mid Month Challenge Project.

I was pondering quite a while as to what I was going to make until I spotted a kitchen roll insert and an envelope stiffener (cardboard) and from there the idea was born - a pen holder!  
The idea for a mid month is to show step by step tutorial for the project so here goes - a really long post lol - please bear with me on this one lol.

Do click on each photo to see more detail.

First off I laid out what I thought I would use, pic on left was original idea, pic on the right is more like it - minus the black lace (a thought I added in along the way along with leaf trim lol)


This shows the process of trimming the tubes to desired length - bet you noticed the stray toilet roll insert, slightly smaller than the other one (another unplanned add in lol)  You can see I am no good at step by step huh...


 I cut out a base shape from the envelope stiffener then painted it along with the inside and edges of the tube using black acrylic.  Then came the paper hanging, lol,I started by covering the outsides using beautiful papers called Chalkboard by Craftwork Cards - gorgeous love them. Please note the pic on right shows my first mistake - I did not allow enough paper to fold down completely inside - next pic shows me redoing it lol


 see now rectified


 bit of a bodge up but got there in the end


 After completing all three tubes I wiped the edges using black soot Distress Ink. 


 Now there was alot of drying time in between the steps and I promise I will not be talking to you in between - I sat on my sofa watching TV - better than watching paper dry, lol ...Anyway I am now back from being a couch potato (well I could have been doing the housework instead but chose not to, lol) .  This was the point I came across the latest add in - black guipure lace - love this.  I trimmed around the top of the tubes inside and out and around the edge of the base.  I covered the bottom of the base with felt - Ooops lost the pic of that one - still it would have been a boring pic anyway as I am sure you all know what felt looks like lol!


 I stuck the tubes and base together and added flowers and leaf trim to give it a bit of ummmmppphhhh!  Now for a copious amount of pics...... I have most probably duplicated pics along the way so please forgive me - I just could not see which angled shot was being merged with what in the end!





 

 That's it from me right now and you can see my project over at my blog - not an awful lot different to what is posted here but would still like to see you at mine so to speak!
There is still 2 weeks til the end of our current challenge and we would love to see you joining in with the fun - just click HERE.

Elaine aka Ellapu xx






4 comments:

aussie aNNie said...

This is one stunning creation and tutorial....and I only emptied the bin into recyling yesterday, gotta use more toilet rolls.xxx{aNNie My Personal Blog}

Rupa S said...

This is so pretty Elaine and some functional re cycling!

Julie Short said...

What a wonderful and so creative make. I love that you detailed the oops too. Reassures me that I'm not the only crafter who changes direction because of an "error opportunity."

Toni said...

Gorgeous... hard to believe these are toilet paper rolls... Awesome !