Pages

Followers

Sunday, 15 February 2015

Mid challenge inspiration by Sammy

                ***************************************************
                     FEBRUARY'S CHALLENGE IS HERE
                ***************************************************

Hi all, Sammy here with your mid-month inspiration post. Remember this? :



That's the pen pot I prettified for this month's DT inspiration. And I'm back to show you all how I did it.
First of all, I started with a MDF blank and covered it in gesso.


Technically it wasn't really necessary to do the gesso part, but I did anyway. When I sit down to alter something, I rarely know what I'm going to do. I might have a technique I fancy trying out, or a product I want to use, or simply a style I want to play with. This time, my brain was in full-on Tim Holtz mode, so after the gesso I chose some papers from a Tim pad and cut them to size.


Now because this was a large sheet of paper (12x12), and it was somewhat darker/distressed around the edges, I took some Walnut Stain distress ink and inked the cut pieces, to give it a more uniform look.


I glued the pieces onto the blank, and went around all the edges with tissue tape. I went over everything with a coat of multi medium, to make sure it was all stuck down and stayed in place.


Next I chose some blueprint stamps (I love, love, love them soooo much!) and stamped a different design on each side, directly onto the paper. This wouldn't work with all types of stamp, but I think it's perfect with the blueprints.


And then I painted the images with Distress Paints.


I added a word band, which I also Distressed using paint, and added some paint smudges to the image panels.


And finally I finished it off by adding some label letters.




And there's the finished pen holder. It's going to be sitting on hubby's desk when he moves into his new office. And you know what? I'm rather jealous! Guess I'll have to make myself one too!



I hope you all enjoyed the step-by-step, and if I've managed to inspire you to play along, you can enter this month's challenge here.

Have a fabulous day!

Sammy-x

6 comments:

Pamellia Johnson said...

What a fabulous project Sammy and a wonderful tutorial too! I love the "STUFF" on the one side, what a perfect sentiment! Great job with the distressing, a fantastic addition for your craft space! hugs :)

Rupa S said...

So that's the secret to the lovely creation! I love this one Sammy...the blue print stamp is a clever add.

Sandra Wright said...

Great tutorial Sammy xx

Julie Short said...

his is a terrific make for your husband. I can imagine how much he will enjoy using this most practical make too! I'm with you on the gesso...if you don't know...gesso it!

Wynn Walton said...

Love this Sammy. You always come up with some great makes. Hugs Wynn x

rkramadh said...

Wow!!!! I LOVE THIS! I have the exact mdf pencil holder which I painted white and stamped some steam punk images on all 4 sides (basic b/w design) but I LOVE yours. I think I am gonna redo that one. May I ask if you got yours from IKEA? I can't remember where I got mine from...